At the moment, we are waiting for official guidelines regarding the school work organization after the summer break. It can be expected that, similarly to enterprises, educational facilities will need to introduce the following procedures: measuring temperature, disinfection of hands and surfaces, restriction of gatherings and social distancing.
Perhaps schools will organize breaks at different times for different classes so as to limit the number of students outside classrooms during breaks. Maybe some lessons will still be organized remotely. Regardless of which solutions will actually be implemented, technologies can help people comply with the new rules.
A student ID, a student grade record and SOS in one
Well aware of the new challenges in education, we collaborated with Euvic IT to adjust the TIMATE system to school environments. Our smart card can now function as a student’s or teacher’s digital ID, a student’s grade record, a lesson plan or a library card. Simultaneously, it will ensure students’ safety thanks to the SOS button which can be used to call help in the case of an accident, a dangerous event or bullying. The card will also assist in evacuations and will remind of the necessity to disinfect hands.
Our system does not collect biometric data of teachers and students. Outside the school premises, the card does not display the user’s photo and name. In contrast to smartphones, the card contains no games, social media functions or other applications that would distract students, but it allows to contact them and determine their location. Thus, it improves their safety.
What benefits does our card give to students and teachers?
- A lesson plan from Monday through Friday, a grade record (grades from the given day), daily homework for each subject, a library card
- Automatic checking of students’ attendance
- An identifier of each student (first and last name, class, photo) and his/her location in the school (floor, classroom)
- Measuring distances between students and between students and teachers
- Measuring students’ temperature
- The SOS function with one button (accidents, violence), fall detection, faints, loss of consciousness
- Monitoring the number of students during breaks (automatic scheduling of breaks for different classes)
- Messages (e.g. “Time to wash hands”)
- A lesson plan from Monday through Friday with classrooms
- A teacher’s identifier (first and last name, subject/function, photo), location in the school (floor, classroom)
- Automatic checking of teachers’ attendance
- Measuring distances between students and teachers
- Measuring teachers’ temperature
- The SOS function with one button (accidents, fire, other events), fall detection, faints, loss of consciousness
- The option to send information to the teacher’s card with a reply function
- Monitoring personal protection equipment (e.g. masks, visors)
Importantly, TIMATE can be integrated with other tools already used in schools, e.g. Librus and Vulcan. There is no need to abandon these technologies which have been supporting schools for a long time. They can be simply extended with new possibilities.
Though the situation is difficult, it seems that it can actually help in the digital transformation of schools. A new technologically advanced school is just around the corner. Let’s move in that direction!